DBBW is an inspiring and informative portal on all trending/updated happenings globally on News, Entertainment,Education, Sports,Technology,Music.etc.Welcome to DBBW experience. Dabtvbaseworld we have got you covered...

  • Monday 24 July 2017

    10 tautological errors even intelligent people make in English

    10-tautological-errors-even-intelligent-people-make-english

    Tautology is the concept that refers to the repetition of something. In this concept, it deals with the occurrence of two or more words with the same meaning in a sentence.

    When this happens, only one of them would be meaningful and the other one would be made redundant.

    dabtvbaseworld presents you with 10 common ones.

    1) Incorrect: Sola, Stand up.
         Correct: Sola, stand.
         Note: When you ask someone to stand, the person would come up, not go down. Therefore, the “up” after stand is redundant.

    2) Incorrect: The programme started at about 2:00pm.
        Correct: The programme started at 2:00pm.
        Note: Both “At” and “About” are prepositions and therefore cannot co-occur. Only use “About.”

    3) Incorrect: Your notebook is at the extreme end of the table.
        Correct: Your notebook is at the extreme of the table.
        Note: Extreme and end are synonyms, so using the two would be wrong. Just use one.

    4) Incorrect: He did not tell me a reason why he slapped me.
        Correct: He did not tell me why he slapped me.
        Note: Reason and why are synonyms. They should not co-occur in a sentence. Just pick one.

    5) Incorrect: I want to invite you to the night vigil.
        Correct: I want to invite you to the vigil.
        Note: Vigil in this context is the one that takes place at night, so mentioning night is not necessary.

    6) Incorrect: When I called her, she waved her hand to me.
         Correct: When I called her, she waved to me.
         Note: When you want to wave, it is your hand you use, not any other part of your body. Therefore, using “her hand” is not compulsory in that context.

    7) Incorrect: He slapped me, so therefore, I will report him to the police.
        Correct: He slapped me, therefore, I will report him to the police.
         Note: Use just one out of the two.

    8) Incorrect:  I give you four extra more minutes.
         Correct: I give you four more minutes.
         Note: Extra and more refer to the same thing. only one of them to avoid repetition.

    9) Incorrect: The food cannot be sufficient enough for us.
         Correct: The food cannot be enough for us.
         Note: Just use one out of the two. They mean the same thing.

    10) Incorrect: It is a true fact that my husband asked me for a divorce.
         Correct: It is true that my husband asked me for a divorce.
          Note: A fact is always true, so there is no need to put true with it.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts